For the full Return to School Plan, click here
Full PPT Presentation used during Parent Return to School Meetings
Wed, Aug 19 at 6pm Meeting (Video)
Wed, Aug 19 at 7:30pm Meeting (Video)
Thursday, Aug 20 at 6pm Meeting (Video)
Thursday, Aug 20 at 7:30pm Meeting (Video)
August 10, 2020
Dear SST Families,
For the 2020-2021 school year, I will recommend to the School Committee that we open with a Hybrid learning model that will be explained in more detail in our return to school plan. In this model, students will be scheduled for instructional time both in school and remotely. This is a very flexible plan for an obviously very fluid situation; the plan allows for changes for the whole school or for parts of the school if circumstances change. Put another way: If we need to make adjustments to move toward remote learning, or make adjustments for the well being of students and staff, we will not hold rigidly to a model that is not in the best interest of our SST community.
Our SST school community includes the students and families we serve, plus our staff of teachers, administrators, counselors, paraprofessionals, bus drivers, cafeteria aides, administrative assistants and custodians. I am confident that we will work together to ensure everyone’s safety and to ensure that our students progress with their learning.
SST needs the support of our families in these ways:
- Keeping your children home from school if they show signs of illness.
- Reading and reviewing all of the SST guidance that is published.
- Making sure that your contact information is current so we can reach you.
- Participating in parent remote meetings whenever possible to get live information.
- Contacting the school when you have a question or concern.
- Responding promptly when a teacher, administrator or counselor calls or emails.
- Asking your child regularly about their new school routines and letting us know if you sense a problem with their mental health, socialization, or scholastic achievement.
- Providing initial support to your child at home with signing in to remote classes.
Our school staff will support families in these ways:
- We will continue to educate your children, whether remotely or in school, and let you know when they are thriving and when they are struggling.
- We will be flexible with how we deliver this content and will support your child.
- We will keep our school building and school vehicles clean.
- We will establish routines that provide children with predictability in an unpredictable time.
- We will train children in appropriate safety measures in the classroom, shop, bathroom, lunchroom, hallway, bus, and job site. No detail will be overlooked.
- We will share as much information as possible as quickly as possible.
- We will provide technical support for parents and students to assist with remote learning.
Thank you to our School Committee and our staff working group who put in many hours to help put this plan together. Also, thank you to our families who responded to our surveys and phone calls. Without your input we could not have built a return to school plan. We look forward to welcoming back our returning students; we have missed them! And we welcome the Class of 2024 and their families under these unique circumstances and look forward to getting to know you.
Thomas J. Hickey, Ed.D.